2018 Third Quarter Market CommentaryOctober 8, 2018
Investor Series – Putting It All TogetherOctober 19, 2018
30 Observations and Things I’ve Learned From 30 Years in the Industry
- Be nice to people in every interaction. You will be a happier person by making other people happy.
- We all must suffer from of one of two things in life. The pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment.
- Take some time to mentor the youth in our society. You will learn more from them than you teach.
- People tend to be better decision makers when they are financially independent because the fear is gone. Try to make decisions without fear throughout your career and before you are financially independent.
- It’s important to know what motivates people to be a better leader.
- Kids and coworkers will only pay attention to what you say if they agree with what you do.
- Sleep and exercise are underrated.
- Knowing what you don’t know is as important as being confident in what you do know.
- Even though being appreciated is very important, giving truly is more powerful than receiving.
- Remember the struggles and how you overcame them because it will help with the next struggle around the corner.
- There are two types of people. Ones that wallow when they get knocked down and ones that get up…..be the one that gets up…over and over again.
- You don’t have to be perfect in things you are doing but you do have to choose to be great.
- There are capable people from every walk of life. College, no college, trade school and on and on.
- Success is self defined.
- Office building elevators are the places where you will really understand how people feel about a company.
- When coaching kids, try to treat those kids as kindly and with as much passion for coaching as if they were your own. It’s an important relationship for them and they’ll never forget.
- In order to play golf well all things in your life have to be in good order.
- Father/daughter,son relationships are downright magical and hugely important.
- Have somebody relentlessly give you a hard time about saying uhhhh and you know in conversations and speeches because uhhhhh it’s beyond annoying and you can break the habit.
- Find people you trust to mentor you and pay close attention.
- You are a combination of the 5 people you spend the most time with….make good choices.
- Financial markets are unpredictable but that wont stop people from trying to predict them.
- You will spend some degree of time saying to yourself “why didn’t i think of that?”
- Life and careers go fast so be bold and take your shots.
- People who stay close and work on relationships with family and friends are happiest.
- Mindset is important. When somebody ask how you’re doing and you say “not too bad” is that the standard? Use positive language.
- Spend time listening to our elders and pay attention. They have so much knowledge.
- There really isn’t such a thing as Karma. There are decisions and outcomes.
- Assume positive intent. Many people assume people are trying to get one over on you and will be too skeptical. Assume people have the right intentions.
- 30 years is a long time but it goes by fast so enjoy the ride and try to grow everyday
President, Mark Shone